Pages

Thursday, March 28, 2013

[twelve bands]

[twelve]

AFI

I really struggled with this last one (based purely on the music I would’ve put Jesse Malin, Against Me! or even Alkaline Trio), but I decided to put AFI because of what happened because of this band. I first heard them in early 1998, but didn’t really get into them until 1999. I only knew who they were because I decided to listen to all of the bands that were on Nitro Records, the label owned by Dexter Holland (lead singer of The Offspring). AFI were really hard to find here back then and you could only find their albums at 78 Records if you were lucky. I actually found Shut Your Mouth and Open Your Eyes there once, then ordered Black Sails in the Sunset in after I became obsessed with Shut Your Mouth. I do still love a lot of their songs, even if there’s just as many (if not more) songs I don’t care for at all. The funny thing with this band is that the songs I DO like, I really love. Third Season, A Single Second, The Prayer Position, Narrative of Soul Against Soul, 6 To 8, Morningstar, The Killing Lights, Rabbits Are Roadkill on Rt 37, Veronica Sawyer Smokes, et al. I started reading their message board properly in early 2000. A huge amount of music I love came through reading that board; I properly got into Ryan Adams (further than just New York, New York which I found thanks to Rage) because of him being mentioned on there in 2000, I fell in love with The (International) Noise Conspiracy, Refused, Tiger Army, etc. And because of that band’s message board, I met two of my best friends online in 2003 (and in person five years later) and for that, I will forever be grateful.

Plus, meeting Hunter and Smith was pretty much the most amusing night ever (Adam/Davey/Jade were lovely, too, but you know). I told Hunter that they sure took their time to come to Perth for the first time (because their previous Australian tour when they FINALLY came here didn’t include Perth) and he said, “Don’t worry, we won’t skip Perth again. I think you’re my favourite Australian yet.” Pretty sure that’s only because I made fun of him and called him a doofus, though, while most of the other people just asked him to sign stuff for them. Then in between my going backstage to meet them and the show itself, Simone and I went out to dinner and were sitting at a table outside the restaurant when Smith, Jade, and Adam were walking down the street in our direction. I tried to quietly say, “So there’s AFI...” to Simone, but she was like, “What do you mean?” and after multiple subtle attempts, I just said, “AFI. Walking. Up. The. Street.” But she didn’t have time to have a inconspicuous look, because Smith saw me, ran up to our table, stole our table number, blew me a kiss, and ran away while Jade and Adam just laughed. Luckily he brought the table number back. Then he was hanging around the front when people were entering Metro City for the show when Simone and I walked past and most people were oblivious to his awesomeness, but he said, “Have a good dinner?” to me and I laughed. I like dorky bands, don’t I?

I’d throw away everything to live

1 comment: